Chocolate Banana Cookies
Arroz a la Cubana
Earlier in the year I decided that I needed more flaxseed in my diet. So I headed over to Wegmans and grabbed some. Then, I had a bag full of flaxseed and I wasn't really sure what to do with it. I researched a little and then made my own cookie recipe...
Peanut Butter and Jelly Flaxseed Cookies
1/4 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs cinnamon swirl peanut butter (regular peanut butter will work)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cup flour
1/2 ripe banana
2 tbs flaxseed
Fruit Jam (use your favorite flavor, I used blackberry)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the egg, butter, sugar and vanilla together until blended.
3. Add the dry ingredients: cinnamon, flour and flaxseed.
4. Add the peanut butter and banana to the mix and combine.
5. Form the dough into one inch balls.
6. Take a fork, dip it into granulated sugar and make cross marks on the top (just like classic peanut butter cookies)
7. Bake the cookies for 7 - 10 minutes in the oven.
8. When cookies cool, add a tablespoon of jam to the top of each cookie.
Yields ~22 cookies
These cookies are delicious and not too sweet. I shared them with some of my students at school and I was pleasantly surprised that they liked them (and I was glad I could contribute to their fiber that day).