"You've got to get up every morning with a smile on your face and show the world all the love in your heart..." -Carole King

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Jewelry Hanger Tutorial







You will need:

-An old wooden plaque (I bought this one at a barn sale for 5 cents)
-A hammer
-Wood glue
-Scissors
-Scrapbook paper
-Wooden pegs
-Nails
-Mod Podge
-Brown, black and white paint
-Sand paper

This is what the wooden plaque looked like:


First, I traced the shape of the plaque onto a piece of scrapbook paper.  I painted a layer of Mod Podge on the top, attached the paper, then trimmed the edges. 


Next I painted more Mod Podge on top of the paper and edges, sealing it to the wood.



I painted the wooden pegs white, then painted brown on top, then painted a small amount of black over those colors to make a dark brown and antique look. 


I marked the spots for the pegs on the back of the wood.  Then, I pounded each nail in and wiggled the wooden peg over the nail like a screw until it was firmly attached to the wood.  Then, I removed the peg, put on some wood glue to the end and screwed the peg back on the nail.


Once the Mod Podge dried, I sanded the edges of the heart for a more finished look.














Ladybird Ln
DIY under $5Funky Junk's Sat Nite Specialbutton The Girl Creative
BWS tips button

4 comments:

  1. That turned out great! I absolutely love that paper, I'm a sucker for anything damask or fleur de lis, that paper is perfect!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I love crafts that don't take too much time or effort! Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog (via little tipsy)-
    this is a good idea... i am always trying to figure out with to do with old "stuff" before I get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jamie! I had been thinking about doing this for a while and was so happy when I found that old wooden heart! Good luck re-purposing the "stuff!"

    ReplyDelete